At times I find the trimester year structure a bit frustrating, mainly because, it really is not my life anymore. Spring, summer, fall, winter, four season right? But somehow my nearly decade in the academic system (oh god that is long) I have internalized this four month rythm, and find it both annoying and comforting. It makes starting new goals and hobbies easier because with two more year restarts who has to wait until January, but, honestly, do we really need those special days anyway? Its also frustrating because for some reason I don’t have a whole 12 month endurance thing, I get wiped out a few months in. Is it a totally mental thing? Do I push too hard for maintenance? Am I doomed to a student brain forever? Either way, the year is almost half over, holy jesssssus, and looking back, it has been a fairly accomplished one.
1. ran my goal time in sola
2. passed my german class, always an entertainingly challenge battle
3. started lead climbing for first time and now can consistently lead 5.b (5.9-5.10) in the gym
4. hiking and snowshoeing successes highlighting my fitness efforts are making progress
6. successful committee meeting with PhD completion in the reasonably near future
7. applying for a post doc position like a real grown up
8. joined a new club to make some new friends and succeeded
9. seriously improved my impulse and i got bad news shopping splurges
10. have finally reduced the pain in my right leg with physio and taping, a new highlight in life
11. seriously improved my positivity and reduced my negative thoughts
All in all, maybe stopping to look back every few months isn’t the end of the world. The weather has been really shitty lately, and I just simply have not been out of the city as much as I wanted. So, I could easily focus on all the missed trips and cancelled plans, but that would miss all those positive accomplishments and improvements which is a double digit list. Life is good, and with summer around the corner, increasingly longer days, and hopefully improving weather…. maybe after the next four months I will have more trip reports on here for you guys!