We did this one a few weeks ago, but I haven’t had a chance to write it up, becomes sometimes life is a bit nuts :-). Jesus had done something cool, which got us a Thursday off, and it was finally sunny for a whole day! It happened to have snowed about 15 cm the day before, and more earlier in the week all the way down to 1100 m, but we went for it anyway. We got to the start of the hike, a group of four, and discovered almost about a foot of snow. We had me, two experts who were completely unfazed, and two others we hadn’t really hiked with before, who no offense if they start reading this blog at some point, weren’t really prepared for the snow.
We hiked up a short stretch to the top of the gondola, deep snow and slow going, but our goal was rising above us very temptingly. We started debating whether we were actually going to make it to the summit, or if it was too dangerous to even contemplate because of the snow which made everything a lot more dangerous. It was also pretty early in the season and all the ropes were not up on the route. We decided to go out to the base of the prominence and check and see how we felt, so off we went. Passing four couples/pairs on the way back down who had gotten part way and had to come back and restart.
So we stopped and discussed, and three of us decided to wander around the base of the mountain while the two boys went up, bringing my camera with me of course, because who wouldn’t want to bring my awesome camera. It was a tough decision. I have been trying to push myself with hiking and working out, but there is such a fine line between beyond your boundaries for the sake of learning, and into somewhere dangerous and beyond your abilities completely. It’s a tough line to stand on, and there is so much self doubt involved, do i pussy out because I am scared or worried, either justly or unjustly. It’s hard, and I never really know if I am making the right call. I guess that’s just part of the game right? One of these days, I won’t have to wonder if that gut feeling is real and true, or if it is self doubt and should be pushed through. That day, I think I did make the right decision. We enjoyed ourselves, basked in the sun for a bit, and then ambled very slowly down to the valley on the other side, with the stunning, stunning view of Lake Luzerne in front of us. No summit, a tough decision, no sunburn for ME (heheheh everyone else though), and all around a good day.